Statistics is basically a branch of studies which deals deals with the collection, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of numerical data. This collected data is verified, interpreted and used to solve problems in various fields ranging from government offices to sports events. Statistician make use of various methods like questionnaires, surveys etc to find solution to real life situations like insurance policies, labours laws, project planning etc It is also useful in business world for competitor analysis.
- Designing data acquisition trials
- Analysing trends,
- Applying statistical methodology to complex data,
- Acting in a consultancy capacity,
- Designing and implementing data gathering
- management computer systems and software,
- Supervising junior statistical staff,
- Assessing results,
- Make use of statistics to make forecasts and to provide projected figures,
- Presenting information in a variety of formats,
- Explaining complex information to people who may not be specialists,
- Liaising with colleagues,
- Attending meetings
The governments of countries around the world are constantly researching to improve its economic development. Statistical data and techniques of statistical analysis are immensely useful in solving economical problems such as wages, price, time series analysis, demand analysis. It is an irreplacable tool of production control. Business executives are relying more and more on statistical techniques for studying the preferrence of the customers.
Statistics are useful to banker, insurance companies, social workers, labour unions, trade associations, chambers and to the politicians.
WHAT QUALITIES ARE REQUIRED ?
While looking for a job, we search about the responsibilities, scope, qualification etc required for a particular. But we often forget the most important factors i.e career interest, Aptitude and personality, needed to be considered, while applying for a job.
Some of the basic aptitude, personality and interest required to succeed in this career are-
To become a statistician in India, you can follow the steps outlined below:
1. Acquire Education: To become a statistician, you will need to have a strong foundation in mathematics and statistics. You should have a bachelor's degree in statistics, mathematics, or a related field. Many employers prefer candidates who have a master's degree or a Ph.D. in statistics.
2. Develop Analytical Skills: You should have excellent analytical skills to analyze data, identify trends, and draw conclusions. You can develop these skills by taking courses in data analysis, statistical modeling, and programming languages, such as R or Python.
3. Gain Experience: You can gain experience by working as a research assistant, intern, or data analyst in a related field. This will help you develop a better understanding of the statistical methods and tools used in real-world applications.
4. Learn Statistical Software: You should be familiar with statistical software, such as SAS, SPSS, or Stata. You can learn these software programs by taking courses or by gaining experience in a related field.
5. Build Communication Skills: You should have excellent communication skills to interact with clients, team members, and other stakeholders. You should be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
6. Develop Problem-Solving Skills: As a statistician, you will be responsible for solving complex problems and providing insights to support decision-making. You should have excellent problem-solving skills to handle these responsibilities.
7. Look for Job Positions: You can look for job positions in government agencies, research institutions, consulting firms, or private companies. You can also consider working as a freelance statistician or starting your own consulting business.
In summary, to become a statistician in India, you need to acquire education, develop analytical skills, gain experience, learn statistical software, build communication and problem-solving skills, and look for job positions in government agencies, research institutions, consulting firms, or private companies.
THINK YOU POSSES THE ABOVE QUALITIES?
Many institutes conduct their own entrance exam for admission in master/ post graduation course.
There is also Diploma in statistics & Certificate in Statistical Methods and Applications available.
Indian Statistical Institute- New Delhi
Indian Statistical Institute- Bangalore
Indian Statistical Institute- Kolkatta
Xavier’s College- Ahmedabad
University of Delhi- New Delhi
Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya (School of Statistics)- Indore
Aligarh Muslim University (Department of Statistics and Operations Research)- Aligarh.
- There are job opportunities available for statistician in India and as well as in abroad.
- After completing your degree in statistics, your can also apply for the Civil Services, Indian Statistical Services & Indian Economic Services exams.
- As Statistician you are more likely to get jobs in following sectors-
- computer science
- health sciences
- Content Analyst
- Statistic Trainer
- Data Scientist
- Consultant Biostatistician
“A Statistician earns a very handsome salary package in India and abroad.”
In India, the average salary of a statistician can be expected between Rs. 2.5 to 3.5 lacs per year. After gaining the sufficient experience in this field you can earn more than Rs. 4.5 lacs per year.
In the United States, you can easily earn an average salary of $70 k annually. Candidates with good experience and master degree in this field can earn a awarding salary packages.