The career of a sailor is one that provides a lot of experience. It also gives you the opportunity to travel.
Sailors have many responsibilities, including:
- Keeping the ship on course
- Taking care of the cargo
- Taking care of passengers
- Handling emergencies that might occur
To become a sailor in India, you can follow these steps:
1. Educational Qualifications: To become a sailor, you need to have passed 10+2 or its equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
2. Age Criteria: The minimum age requirement for joining as a sailor is 17 years and the maximum age limit is 21 years.
3. Physical Fitness: You need to have a good physical fitness level and should be free from any physical disabilities or illnesses.
4. Selection Process: You can join the Indian Navy as a sailor by appearing in the Indian Navy Sailor Recruitment Exam, which is conducted twice a year. The selection process includes a written exam, physical fitness test, medical examination, and an interview.
5. Training: After clearing the selection process, you will have to undergo basic training at INS Chilka, which is the basic training center for sailors in India. The training period is usually around 14 weeks, and it includes physical training, naval orientation, and basic seamanship.
6. Specialization: After completing the basic training, you can specialize in one of the following areas:
Artificer Apprentice (AA)
Senior Secondary Recruits (SSR)
Matric Recruits (MR)
You can check the Indian Navy's official website for more information on the recruitment process and eligibility criteria.
Choosing a career should be a meticulous process. Take a Career Assessment Test to check your suitability for Sailor
Click here to choose a plan
Check if your skills are appropriate for Sailor. There is scope and opportunity in every career, if it matches your Interest, personality and aptitude.
We follow a top to bottom approach. Our career counselors in the face to face counseling session would first discuss whether Sailor is a suitable career option for the student/child or not. If the reports shows that child does have the aptitude, personality and interest required for this particular career, then the counselor will guide him/her about the scope, job opportunities for Sailor and also help with the entrance exams, colleges, courses, private tutors etc for this career.